Sunday, September 25, 2011

Withered flowers in the flower bed


For example, this Lobelia sipilitica withered already a couple of weeks ago on a central place of the great upper bed.


Nevertheless it fits nicely into the overall picture.


I was quite shocked when I first saw that in the beds designed by Piet Oudolf there was place for the withered flowers, too. In Oudolf’s beds these were always very nice.


I tried it several times, but in my garden the withered flowers always looked ugly out of their context. However, a couple of years ago I realized an important trick. These flowers look beautiful in beds which are not built on strong colors, but on the complexity of forms.

2 comments:

James Golden said...

A perfect way to put it: not on color, but on complexity of form. Yes!

Templom Kata said...

Thank you, dear James.