Saturday, September 20, 2008

Summer-end yellows

I love summer-end warm yellow colors. However, it is not easy to find a place for them in our garden. According to Gertrude Jekyll, one should keep these warm and vivid yellow colors near to the house.

Telekia speciosa Molinia WindspielI also started like this, but even one single warm yellow flower destroyed the harmony of the pink roses. And, in addition, these warm yellow plants usually prefer suns that our garden does not have in abundance. I tried to plant them in part shade but vivid yellows were very disquieting there.

Ligularia 'Desdemona'After the failures of long years I had to accept that one cannot put many yellows in our garden.

Hemerocallis 'Autumn Minaret'I renounced those yellows that required much sun, and I managed to find place for some that also live in part shade, contrapuncted with light white flowers and/or grasses, hostas and ferns.

Helenium 'Baudirektor Linne'I think I love the final result more than the impossible alternative with many yellows.

No comments: